Friday, July 16, 2004

Well, It's a Start...

Just what the Web needs, another person who think he's got the answer to everything. Well, it had to happen sooner or later, so here goes.

I suppose my first post should just be a test of the system, so here it is. Is it working? Yeah? Good.

Let's see, how does one start a blog, anyway? I suppose with what I'm doing and thinking right now is a good enough way.

I'm a shift manager at a datacenter, overseeing a bunch of computers and the technicians who make sure they (the computers) are comfortable and happy. Right this second, it's almost midnight, and I have six hours to go before I can go home. As you can imagine, on a Friday night, all is quiet. So here I sit, playing with a blog, and listening to Sheryl Crow on my mp3 player (don't panic, RIAA and/or Sheryl, I own the CD). Kind of funny, she's singing to me that a change would do me good, and right this second, I couldn't agree more.

I'm thinking about how nice it would be to work so-called normal hours again, the kind where you actually get to see (instead of merely pass unconsciously though) daylight, where people actually have a good idea when you're working and when you're off and ask you to go out and do things with them. Not that they don't now, but I have to turn them down most of the time because of my schedule or plain old fatigue. (Now she's singing that this is home, and considering where I am, that's a little depressing.)

Of course, I can't complain too much, because I do have a job, a situation that is better than several people I know who can't claim that. And it is more or less a good one, not too stressful, other than the stress of the weird hours. My boss is nice, I don't think I'm in any imminent danger of being let go, and I get paid okay for what I do. All in all, it's not a bad deal. Except when I'm here and all I really want is to be at home sleeping. Now she's singing "If it makes you happy, then why the hell are you so sad?"...

Well, I guess that's good enough for an initial entry. I promise that things will get more interesting as I go along.

For now, I'll leave with some thoughts of things I think are kind of funny and strange. First of all, I've been reading that Bobby Fischer, the famous chess player, has been caught in Japan, and is facing extradition back to the U. S. Extradition. I was blissfully ignorant of the fact that he was even in trouble! Turns out that he played chess in Yugoslavia back in the days when we were bombing them, and that violated our sanctions. Playing chess in Yugoslavia was illegal? Oh well, in my reading, I discovered he is a raving anti-Semite. The things I don't know never cease to amaze me. Here's the story on CNN.

Also, I was listening to NPR on my way to work this evening, and they had a segment on how the Secretary of Health and Human Services, Tommy Thompson, has had a line deleted from the manual from the Department of Health and Human Services that said, "Obesity itself cannot be considered an illness," which opens up the possibility of weight treatments being covered. That's great, but he was cracking me up. Some of his quotes were things like, "When you look at the figures in America today... We have a huge problem in America." If you're interested, you can listen to the whole segment on NPR's site.

Last, but not least, I ran across this political cartoon from the Atlanta Journal Constitution's Web site, which I think is hilarious. Enjoy!

Gotta run, so until next time, have fun!

1 Comments:

At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot you had this blog. I kept looking at the Spanish one for updates!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home