Wednesday, June 15, 2005

A Great New Show

First of all, I'm sorry I haven't posted anything in a while. I started three separate entries that are waiting in my "Drafts" queue that I need to edit and post, so there will likely be a few entries posted this week to make up for lost time. :-)

I don't want to sound like a commercial, but I just saw a great new show on television, one that will probably be highly underrated and eventually die because 99% of Americans want to see sex scenes and shoot-outs instead of really intelligent programming.

If you have watched the documentary movie Super Size Me, then you are already familiar with Morgan Spurlock. He's the guy that ate nothing but McDonald's menu items for thirty whole days. I thought it sounded like a dumb idea for a movie, and it would just be wasted time to find out something painfully obvious: live off of fast food and you'll get fat. Well, one day I was bored, and I had heard a lot about the movie, and it happened to be on one of my premium satellite channels, so I watched it. I was delightfully surprised, because I really enjoyed the movie a lot.

Yes, he did gain weight and yes, I fully expected that. What made the movie interesting, though, were the other health affects it had. Also, it wasn't just a bunch of "here I am eating a Big Mac, now I'm weighing in, now I'm eating a Quarter Pounder, now I'm weighing in..." The guy also put in a lot of interesting research and other information about health in general, the fast food industry, and other related topics. If you haven't seen the movie, I highly recommend it.

Now, Morgan Spurlock has a new television show on the FX network called 30 Days, where people walk a mile in other's shoes, so to speak, for a month. The premiere episode was Morgan and his fiance living off of minimum wage for thirty days. Future shows have a Christian living as a Muslim, a straight man living with a gay roommate, and so on. The show had a very Super Size Me feel to it, with documentary information interspersed with the struggle of Morgan and Alex trying to make ends meet.

If you have a chance, I recommend that you catch it when you can, and if you like it as much as I do, you spread the word. The show comes on Wednesday nights at 10:00pm Eastern on FX.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home